It took me some time to get used with git. Here i will explain in simple, the steps used for creating a git repository and uploading your local project folder to git hub.
- Basic command used here will be
git add .
git commit -m "first commit"
git remote add origin https://github.com/arjunsk/android_navigation_drawer.git
git push -u origin master
LEVEL 1 : [BASICS]
- Download Git hub Desktop for windows
- Sign up for your Git hub account. (Try to get your full name as your git id. It will be useful in future )
- If you are a student, you can get additional benefits . Educational Git .
- When you are in the main page, on the top right you will see a plus icon -> new repository.
2. Enter just the name of your repository.
3. Now you will see the following screen.
4. Now go to your project folder in your windows PC. Right click over a blank region. You will see Git Bash Here in the Right click options.
5. Now type in the following commands in the Git Command Line.
>> git init //initializes a git folder in your local folder
>> git add . // don't forget the '.' after add. It is used to add all the files in the folder to local git.
>> git status //to check the files added to local git
>> git commit -m "first commit" // commit is used to save the changes.
// You can simple copy paste the next 2 lines from your Git Quick Setup Page.
>> git remote add origin https://github.com/<username>/<repository>.git
>> git push -u origin master